Call for Oscar Submission for Pakistani Filmmakers
The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee invites Pakistani filmmakers to submit their films for Oscar consideration in the ‘Foreign Language Film Award’ category for the 91st Academy Awards by 20th August 2018, 5:00 PM [PST]. This will mark the sixth consecutive submission by the Pakistani Academy Selection Committee having previously submitted “Zinda Bhaag” in 2013, “Dukhtar” in 2014, “MOOR” in 2015, “Mah-e-Mir” in 2016 and “Saawan” in 2017 to represent the best of Pakistani cinema for award consideration in the ‘Foreign Language Film’ category.
The committee is chaired by two-time Academy Award and Emmy winning documentary filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and includes Kamila Shamshi (novelist), Saira Kazmi (actress and director), HM Naqvi (novelist), Hadiqa Kiani (singer, song-writer and philanthropist), Ali Sethi (singer and writer). Zoe Viccaji (singer, song-writer and musical actress), Nadeem Farooq Paracha (journalist, author and cultural critic), Nabila Maqsood (hairstylist and entrepreneur), Khalid Malik (actor and Radio Jockey) and Faisal Qureshi (actor).
The committee will choose one film as Pakistan’s official submission for the, ‘Foreign Language Film Award’. A foreign language film is defined as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track.
For entry forms,submission details and queries, please write to: email@example.com
The criteria for eligibility is as follows:
- The motion picture must be first released in the country submitting it no earlier than October 1, 2017 and no later than September 30, 2018 and be first publicly exhibited for at least seven consecutive days in a commercial motion picture theater for the profit of the producer and exhibitor. Submissions must be in 35mm or 70mm film, or in a 24- or 48-frame progressive scan Digital Cinema format with a minimum projector resolution of 2048 by 1080 pixels, source image format conforming to ST 428- 1:2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master – Image Characteristics; image compression (if used) conforming to ISO/IEC 15444-1 (JPEG 2000); and image and sound files packaged as Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs) in either “Interop” or “SMPTE DCP” formats. SMPTE DCP refers to SMPTE ST429-2 and related specifications. (Blu-ray format does not meet Digital Cinema requirements.
The audio in a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) is typically 5.1 or 7.1 channels of discrete audio. The minimum for a non-mono configuration of the audio shall be three channels as Left, Center, Right (a Left/Right configuration is not acceptable in a theatrical environment).
The audio data shall be formatted in conformance with ST 428-2:2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master – Audio Characteristics and ST 428-3:2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master – Audio Channel Mapping and Channel Labeling.
- The film must be advertised and exploited during its theatrical release in a manner considered normal and customary to theatrical feature distribution practices. The film need not have been released in the United States.
- Films that, in any version, receive a nontheatrical public exhibition or distribution before their first qualifying theatrical release will not be eligible for Academy Awards consideration.
Nontheatrical public exhibition or distribution includes but is not limited to:
- Broadcast and cable television
- DVD distribution
- Internet transmission
- The recording of the original dialogue track as well as the completed picture must be predominantly in a language or languages other than English. Accurate, legible English-language subtitles are required.
- The submitting country must certify that creative control of the motion picture was largely in the hands of citizens or residents of that country.
- The Foreign Language Film Award Executive Committee shall resolve all questions of eligibility and rules.
The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee will announce its nomination for award consideration in September 2018.
The Academy Awards, now officially known as The Oscars, are a set of awards given annually for excellence in cinematic achievements. The Oscar statuette is officially named the Academy Award of Merit and is one of nine types of Academy Awards. Organized and are overseen by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).Disclaimer:We do not allow users to post content which is copyright and We take strict actions against the users who post infringement content on our website.Although we do not host any content, users post embed videos from youtube, facebook, Dailymotion and Vimeo and are moderated before posting but we still take strict action against the copyright videos posted.If you are an official representative of any company whose videos are posted illegally on our website or you think some video infringe the copyright then you can simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org